Structuring Your Sales Operations
It's easy to think that all you need to do is hire some sales executives and the sales will start rolling in. However, your sales team needs a robust organizational system in place to perform to its full potential.
Once you've come up with a well-constructed compensation structure and decided what qualifications and experience your sales executives will need, it's time to give some attention to how you will build your sales support structure for maximum effectiveness and success.
There are several components to a successful sales operations strategy. Today we'll talk about four: Sales Analytics, Sales Administration, Performance Management, and Functional Support.
When thinking about which analytics to collect and how to organize them, consider the following questions:
- What are the KPI’s that are relevant?
- What is the source data, and format and layout of the sales data?
- What is the source of pipeline data?
- What is the ideal frequency of reporting?
A well-developed analytics system will help you drive sales results that align with your goals, as well as pinpoint and address problem areas. Sales analytics are what enable you to keep a finger on the pulse of your sales team and understand where to focus training efforts. If you're not sure which analytics to track or how to set up and implement a tracking system, consider engaging a company like Netpique that can walk you through defining your analytics.
Sales administration deals with the the staff and processes that support your sales executives and integrate each new sale into your fulfillment system. Without good sales administration support, sales can be lost "in translation," causing your sales team to become discouraged and distracted. Here are a few things to consider when thinking about how to set up your sales administration:
- What is the volume of sales orders?
- How much data entry is required of each sale?
- What are the goals of the Quality Control program?
While sales analytics provide program-level assessment, assessing performance at the individual sales executive level is just as important. You need a way to determine whether each sales executives is performing to your standards, as well as disciplinary tools such as Performance Improvement Plans. When developing your performance management system, be sure to consider the following:
- How many people will be tracked?
- What is the ideal frequency of reporting results?
- Once a performance issue is identified, what is the desired route to address
- How often should “accountability calls” be held and with how many people?
If you need assistance with performance management, Netpique can help you put a program in place that provides growth, accountability, and success for each member of your sales team.
Appropriate functional support for your sales team includes integration with a CRM tool, as well as communications, personnel structuring, and managerial control over the sales process. Take control of what's going on in your sales organization by asking the following questions:
- What are the performance standards by job type?
- Do you already have a CRM? If not, what types of CRM are you considering?
- How will you handle data entry? Reporting?
- How often and in what format do you wish to have communication with sales team?
If you need help with any aspect of your sales operations, Netpique sales outsourcing is here. We have over a decade of experience helping companies like yours to drive sales results in line with their objectives.